Sunday, May 26, 2024

The return of the wandering gypsy

     Staring straight ahead of me upon my return was yet more unplanned vacation space.  So, on a whim I called a cousin in Oregon and booked a flight for a quick visit near the end of my 19-day vacation. I settled into the idea of getting some things done around the house. My phone rings. My youngest calls and asks if I want to go to Plainville Ct. for the balloon festival. Up on Friday, back on Saturday. Friday they were having fireworks and lighting up some of the balloons. Sure, why not I love those giant hot air balloons. Friday, we pack into her car with the kids and head off. The only thing we didn't anticipate was that there was a steady light rain up there. That didn't stop us although it did stop the balloons from firing up that night. I purchased umbrellas and a very nice wool blanket to sit on. They had all sorts of venders and many food trucks. The kids were bouncing around and had big eyes for everything. The band that played that evening was very good I wish I had gotten the name. The fireworks went off on schedule, although the rain kept much of the smoke closer to the ground, obscuring some of them. They were wonderful non the less. We tucked 2 tired little ones into bed at the hotel that night. The next morning the newscaster said there was a weather delay on the morning launch, so we took our time with breakfast. Heading back to the field to discover they actually did launch. Figuring we came to see balloons we settled in to wait for the night launch. We rode the train around the park. The kids got their first pony rides. There was a fun playground that the kids couldn't get enough of. We perused all the wares at the many booths. There was also a car show with some great restored vehicles. 








Running out of ways to keep kids busy until six pm. We decided to find a restaurant. We ended up at J Timothy's Tavern in Plainville. Fabulous!! We were seated quickly. The service was prompt and friendly. The food was excellent. I have to say it was the best New England clam chowder I have had in years. I had the bourbon steak, and it was amazing, tender flavorful and just right. I would drive back up here just to eat.

    We headed back to the festival after sating ourselves. Not sure where the balloons were going to inflate, I chose a space mid-field so that I could see in all directions. As six o'clock approached I noticed one balloon at the far end of the field laid out and beginning to inflate. My trusty cameras and I got prepared. just as that one was almost completely filled rising like a mist another one very close to me started to inflate. They were just popping up from among the crowd of on lookers. It reminded me of the line from Mulan where they mention the Huns popping up like daisies. Awesome doesn't begin to describe the feeling of these amazing balloons rising like a Pheonix then floating away directly over our heads.









I love watching these amazing balloons inflate and lift off into the air. Maybe one day I will get to ride in one. We had a spectacular time rain and all as we headed home tired and full of wonder. 

    Recommended event. they had a sabbatical during covid but seem to be back to having this as an annual event.
.This has been in my draft space for almost a year, but it is worth the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Happy?

                                                                        A dear friend of mine recently said that they haven't been happ...